For the image that is attached to TMS, we are doing jpegs, 150 dpi, 600 pixels on the longest edge.  This is actually more than sufficient for what we need and may even be a little big; many other projects I’ve worked on have used 96 dpi.  Having just gone an Archival Digital Image Capture and Batch Derivative Creation workshop yesterday, the main standard being used for the archivals seemed to follow Library of Congress standard of tiffs at 3000 pixels on the longest side..  For photography, I just use the highest setting on the camera I am using, and the derivatives from that also go to my 600 pixel standard for linking to the record.  Our jpegs go on the server, and currently the archivals go onto gold CDs.

Diane

Diane Lee, Collections Manager Ÿ 860-236-5621 x242

Connecticut Historical Society

From: The Museum System (TMS) Users [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Robin Goodman
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 8:59 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Optimal Digital Media File Size

Hello all,

I need to standardize the size of my digital image files in the media module (which currently run the gamut from 12.7 MB to 3 KB). I couldn't seem to find any size guidelines provided by database, and was wondering what file size others have found to be optimal for viewing? I will be keeping high-res images in a separate area and while I realize that the largest size file that I could keep in TMS would be best, hard drive space is a big issue.

Thanks for your help,

Robin

Robin Goodman
Registrar
Kalamazoo Institute of Arts
314 South Park Street
Kalamazoo, MI 49007
269.349.7775  ext. 3133

UPCOMING AT THE KIA: GEORGIA O'KEEFFE and Her Times: American Modernism from the Lane Collection of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. On view May 9 - September 13, 2009. Featuring paintings by O'Keeffe, Arthur Dove, Marsden Hartley and other American masters.

Through the Photographer's Lens: O'Keeffe and Her Circle. On view May 9 - September 13, 2009. Featuring photographs by Ansel Adams, Alfred Stieglitz, Todd Webb and others.