You can create the [American and French] nationality, I suppose.
Arguments can be made both for and against this, but without serious
table-mangling, it would be hard to make a 1:n relationship where 1:1
exists (as is the case, I believe, in constituent : nationality).  It
is semantically different enough in my opinion to justify the creation
of an additional entry into nationalities.

It makes searching a little more difficult, but I suppose the crux of
the argument really is whether or not a search for 'American' should
turn up 'American and French'.

Hope that helps.

Ryan Donahue
Manager of Information Systems
George Eastman House
International Museum of Photography and Film

585.271.3361 ex386