We use the past tense version “American, born Sweden”, and try to be fairly consistent with it.

But I’ve got a related question:  Does this affect what you consider to be the culture of the object, then?  We made an almost arbitrary decision that the culture of the object had to match the nationality of the artist.  We use the geography fields to denote where the object was made.  Alfred Stieglitz only makes “American” objects, even when he has taken pictures in France

This hasn’t been completely satisfactory, as we have British photographers who have worked all of their lives in Japan, but who have maintained their British nationality.  Should these be considered “British” pictures or “Japanese”?  Putting “British and Japanese” as the culture seems a little strange.

David

From: The Museum System (TMS) Users [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Moxley, Jeri
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 3:37 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: dual-nationality

Our standards include both options, on an artist-by-artist basis, regularly reviewed for consistency by my department, and reviewed by curatorial chiefs once or twice a year.

For example, we have both:

American, born Sweden

American and Swedish

Jeri

Jeri Moxley

Manager, Collection and Exhibition Technologies

Collection Management and Exhibition Registration

The Museum of Modern Art

11 West 53 Street, New York, NY 10019-5497

Tel. (212) 708-9599 Fax. (212) 333-1102