We set our Nationality field to be a pick-list for searching (configuration setting on the field to ‘display as distinct list in queries’. This makes searching easy for most users.

We also plan to add a secondary nationality entry under Constituent Attributes, to allow for easier searches on geographic regions (South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, etc.).

Jeri

From: The Museum System (TMS) Users [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ryan Donahue
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 4:37 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: dual-nationality

You can create the [American and French] nationality, I suppose.  Arguments can be made both for and against this, but without serious table-mangling, it would be hard to make a 1:n relationship where 1:1 exists (as is the case, I believe, in constituent : nationality).  It is semantically different enough in my opinion to justify the creation of an additional entry into nationalities.

It makes searching a little more difficult, but I suppose the crux of the argument really is whether or not a search for 'American' should turn up 'American and French'.

Hope that helps.

Ryan Donahue

Manager of Information Systems

George Eastman House

International Museum of Photography and Film

585.271.3361 ex386