Hi,

At the Getty only the two Collections Management Registrars (with
System Administrator rights) create and delete records for Objects,
Exhibitions, Loans and Shipping.  We don't delete object records unless
they are duplicates and only after all the data has been merged into the
primary record.  All old loan, temporary deposit and non-collection
records are retained.  It isn't unusual for an object to return to us at
a later date.  When it does we use the existing record updating the
number.  Records listed as "mistakes" are voided rather than deleted.

Thanks.
Carole.

Carole Campbell
Registrar for Collections Management