Oooh, another round of these :)

1. Canto Cumulus
2. Cost, Flexibility, Easy Import/Export
3. About 2 years ago
4. I didn't have to do too much, so long as I:
a. Had a good list view ready to go
b. was careful about character encoding
c. Knew the ins and out of the medialoader
5. Spend more money on storage at the get-go.

We went with the Canto product because we didn't have a budget for the "Enterprise" stuff (e.g. a large MediaBin consulting contract), and we could get it running however we want.  It stores data (we pull tombstone data into the DAM) and use the DAM as a delivery point for multiple media partners.  the DAM cuts smaller JPGs for TMS, and TMS exports the tombstone data via List View -> Excel -> CSV.

We have no automatic flow between TMS and the DAM, mostly because its the last piece of the puzzle (once you get workflows smoothed out, automation comes next).  We haven't gotten there yet, and since we can batch stuff in and out of both TMS and the DAM, it hasn't been a big issue.

We use the "Vault" feature of Cumulus for version control and centralized storage, and developed a "digital accessioning" scheme to identify assets derived from collection material.  I'd be happy to talk about any of this in more depth, get ahold of me via email [log in to unmask].

1.       What DAMs do you use?
2.       Why did you choose it?
3.       When did you make this decision?
4.       How was the integration with TMS (in other words, how much work did your IT department have to do to get it running)?
5.       If you could go back and change anything, what would you do?

Ryan Donahue
Manager of Information Systems
George Eastman House
International Museum of Photography and Film

585.271.3361 ex386

Hello all,

Once again I’m wondering about media and TMS! At this point in time, we’re looking into acquiring a DAMs, and I was hoping some of you may be able to answer the following questions:

1.       What DAMs do you use?

2.       Why did you choose it?

3.       When did you make this decision?

4.       How was the integration with TMS (in other words, how much work did your IT department have to do to get it running)?

5.       If you could go back and change anything, what would you do?

If this is too off topic, please feel free to respond off list. I’ve posted over here because our main concern is having our DAMs work well with the database, and you all have been a wonderful resource thus far. I promise too that one day I’ll stop asking media related questions!

Thank you!!!

-Jeanne

Jeanne Noonan

Associate Registrar

Chrysler Museum of Art

245 West Olney Road

Norfolk, VA  23510-1509

Phone 757-333-6275

Fax 757-664-6201

http://www.chrysler.org/

FREE ADMISSION to our permanent galleries!