Hi Allison,

We use TMS to conduct our monthly internal audits of our collection. I was so excited when we converted to TMS because of the random list and inventory features that were non-existent in our last database.
Here at the Chrysler, I believe we have some strict policies when it comes to auditing the collection (which I'll avoid going into in great detail).

Each month, I pull up all of our object records, minus those that are no longer with us (we use prefixes before object numbers to determine if an object is deaccessioned, returned to owner, etc.).
From that, I create a random list of 25, and print off a report that allows us to go into a gallery or storage space, find the object, and check it off the list.
In each space, the registrar or myself (and the occasional intern) will select an equal number of objects from the floor, and we'll spot check their location in TMS.
All in all, we randomly select 50 objects a month (25 from the database to the location, and 25 from the location to the database) and sign off that they are in the correct location, or note any changes. Our external auditors then review our monthly reports at the end of the fiscal year.
It is a relatively new system of auditing for us (because we are relatively new to TMS) but it is far simpler than the old way!
We've also managed to track down quite a few errors and allows us to keep a better track of our collection.

Feel free to contact me off list if you'd like any more information.

Thanks,
Jeanne

Jeanne Noonan
Associate Registrar
Chrysler Museum of Art
245 West Olney Road
Norfolk, VA  23510-1509
Phone 757-333-6275
Fax 757-664-6201
http://www.chrysler.org/
FREE ADMISSION to our permanent galleries!