Does anyone else out there create object records for crates?  We started doing this a few years ago, mostly so we could put them into a “Crates” department and allow our art handlers to create, edit, and delete records as they were needed.  They also can link the objects that belong in that crate to the crate, and link images of the crate to the record.

Obviously this partially duplicates the function of the “containers” in the shipping module, and our exhibition registrars will often make duplicate records so that they can manage the crates in a shipment while our art handlers can manage the crates as empty things needing to be schlepped around town.

We’re not happy with the duplication, but being able to keep track of the locations of an empty crate seems really difficult to do if it’s not an object in itself.

Has anyone else managed a more elegant solution?

Thanks,

David

David Aylsworth

Collections Registrar