Hello David – we are actually in the process of sorting this out with our registrar’s because they encountered similar issues.

In short, we create loan records for everything.

TL = temporary incoming loan (objects coming for study or exam, or objects that may be accessioned)

IL = incoming loans for exhibition and long term loan

OL = outgoing loans of all kinds (framing, exhibitions, return to owner)

We found the crux of the problem to be in values. Non-collection objects coming into the museum (objects coming for study or exam, or objects that may be accessioned in the future) were having their values stored in Objects > Incoming module. This value appeared on their incoming receipt. Collection objects that were going out on loan for exhibitions were pulling the most recent value from Objects > Insurance & Valuation.

We have not found a work around to avoid creating loan records for everything but to streamline things we have decided to:

-Store all values in the Insurance & Valuation module. This way all receipts can pull values from the same place. I can share with you a cool ‘partition by’ command to pull the most recent value from the set of values you’ll have attached to each object.

-Use the Shipping module to create a shipment record for Collection objects going out on loan for exhibitions. This way we can pull shipper, courier, shipment dates, etc. It is one more step for our Exhibitions Registrar but the amount of info she can keep organized makes it worthwhile.

So we now have:
- ONE incoming receipt for all objects (IL and TL as described above).
- TWO outgoing receipts for objects…

-One for collection objects going out on exhibition loan that relies on the Valuation & Insurance module and a Shipment record.
-One for non-collection objects being returned to owner that relies on the Valuation & Insurance module and a Loan record.

In recounting this to you, not sure it’s as simple as a solution as you were seeking – but it’s an improvement for our team…considering we had 2 incoming and 3 outgoing receipts PLUS 2 release forms in play before this revision. Happy to discuss further offline/share our .rpt files if you’d like.

All best! Kate

Kate Blanch

Administrator, Museum Databases

[log in to unmask] / 410.547.9000 ext. 266

The Walters Art Museum

600 N. Charles Street, Baltimore MD 21201

www.thewalters.org

The Christmas Story: Picturing the Birth of Christ in Medieval Manuscripts through February 28, 2010

Beauty and the Brain: A Neural Approach to Aesthetics January 23–April 11, 2010
Japanese Cloisonné Enamels from the Stephen W. Fisher Collection February 14–June 13, 2010

Mummified through November 2010