Hi Allison,

At National Gallery, London we record the object status and current location as ‘Virtual object’ and we preface the object number with ‘GROUP’ (all our virtual objects are parent – child groupings e.g. an altarpiece and its component panels, a series and its component paintings).

Then I search periodically for virtual objects where current location is not ‘Virtual object’ to make sure no-one has entered a ‘real’ location for a virtual record. This rarely happens nowadays as only a small well trained group of Art Handlers and Registrars update objects moves.

Gillian

Gillian Essam

Collection Information Manager

The National Gallery