As the birthplace of the Civil War, Kansas and Kansans would be interested.  I know that we could easily find 6 communities willing to host this exhibit, yet I personally feel that we would probably want to delay the "Work" exhibit and do the Civil War exhibit in 2012.  Our feeling at KHC is that the interest will be highest in the beginning and then will begin to wane after 2012 (mainly because Kansans feel their importance in the CW prior to the war, i.e. Bleeding Kansas).

That being said, we also thought that the Homefront theme, albeit a different approach from the battlefront approach many will take over the next 5 years, will have a limited appeal to Kansans.  What  about an even broader theme of such as, "The Impacts of the Civil War?"  The topics would be endless from rifles and photography, to railroads and land grant universities.  Kansans could focus on the Homestead Act, Veteran settlers, and Exodusters, or the largest civilian massacre during the CW.  Just our two cents, even though you didn't ask for it. :)

Thank you for including humanities councils in this conversation.
Dan

Daniel Carey-Whalen
Director of Programs
Kansas Humanities Council