Hi All,

Carol, I read this e-mail to Jamil who loved the idea! He said this is an important topic (of course being situated in the South, we have been 'wrangling' different types of program ideas for the CW Sesquicentennial - both local and statewide).

In answer to your numbered questions:
    1. Yes yes and yes
    2.  Jamil did not believe it necessary to limit the events to 2011. As you mention, the war did last four years. Some of the
    regional committees that have formed in Georgia (for the Sesquicentennial) plan on stretching their programs throughout the four years.
     3. Take it from someone who lives in Hot-lanta, I am here to tell you that the topic of the Civil War is its own -highly successful-tourism
    lure always (I believe my brethren southern states will agree). In this state alone you will see things like the "Blue and the Gray Trail",
    Civil War  related cemetery tours, Civil War gift shops, Civil War re-enactor events (on-going), Gone With the Wind tours, etc. etc. People
    come from around the world to see  these things too.

    In my humble opinion ANYTIME you choose to introduce something "new" on the topic of the Civil War there will be enthusiastic interest
    (you  do not even have  to build it and they will come!).  So the state of Georgia votes YES to an exhibit on this topic!

Cheers,
Arden

Ms. Arden Williams
Program Officer
Coordinator, "Key Ingredients" in Georgia
Georgia Humanities Council
50 Hurt Plaza, Ste. 595
Atlanta, GA 30303
Phone: 404-523-6220 ext. 17
Fax: 404-523-5702
http://www.georgiahumanities.org

The Smithsonian exhibit, "Key Ingredients: America By Food"-
the Georgia tour- has ended.

Check out the GHC/Georgia "Key Ingredients"
web site: www.georgiafoodtour.org   for information on any of our host sites.

"Key Ingredients - the Georgia Tour" has  won a Georgia Association of Museums and Galleries Award
in the "Best Special Project" category.
The exhibit catalog won a GHRAB Award for "excellence in archival program development".

If you missed receiving a Key Ingredients catalog - we will be happy to send you one. Contact the GHC offices.

Due to statewide budget cuts, the GHC "partnership grant" category will be eliminated for 2010.
Please check the GHC web site for more details.

The Georgia Humanities Council is the home of the New Georgia Encyclopedia http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org