Folks-

I like that the anniversaries of the Civil War and the Freedom Riders
are not only overlapping but also - at least in numerical terms that
seem to capture and hold imaginations - terribly significant: 150 and
50, respectively.  I'm liking the idea that there might be some form of
connecting piece - from Civil War to Civil Rights - that might somehow
shift the focus away from Warapalooza - someone came up with that and it
had me rolling - and towards the broader questions of equality,
citizenship, service, civic and political engagement, and sacrifices
made in the name of democracy.  Seems to me there's no corner of our
States that couldn't find some connection to both and, although it might
look different than originally proposed, could capture those big themes
that run through all MoMS exhibitions in real, emotive, and
face-slapping, breath-taking kinds of ways.   I'm not sure what that
does for the "homefront" piece, how one is supposed to exhibit around
that with a troubling, but timely, theme like this, but it seems like a
good time to try and imagine it.

All the Best,
Ryan

Ryan Lewis
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Program Officer - Outreach and Programs
Illinois Humanities Council
17 North State Street, Suite 1400
Chicago, IL 60602.3296
312.422.5585 ext. 231
312.422.5588 Fax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Purchase items on Amazon and support the IHC!
<blocked::http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http:/
/www.amazon.com/&tag=illinhumancou-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=93
25>
Follow us on Twitter <blocked::http://twitter.com/ilhumanities>  -