I remember something like this happening to us years ago. You may have selected copy as a template instead.  You may need to delete the template and create your record again.

To delete a template, go to the Data Entry screen of any object record and select Add Object>Edit Template from the File menu. Then select the name of the template from the submenu that appears. From the File menu, select Delete Object. A dialog box appears asking you confirm this. Click Yes and you will be returned to the Data Entry screen of your previous search.

Hope this  helps,

Eunice

From: The Museum System (TMS) Users [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Erica Boyd Jacob
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2010 4:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Copy Object created "ghost record"

Hi all,
I'm hoping someone can help me with what seems like a silly question, but we are befuddled here!

Our registrar created a TMS record for a first object, a .1, and then used Copy Object to create a record for its companion piece, .2.  However, the .2 record seems to be corrupted because we cannot retrieve it; it does not show up in any searches, yet the accession number is seen by TMS to be in use (i.e., I cannot remake .2 as TMS says it already exists).

I deleted the .1 in the hopes that it would take the .2 with it, to no avail.  The artist's constituent record now comes up with no associated object records, but the .2 record number still cannot be reused.  I recreated the .1 record with no problem.  Still can't get to .2.

Neither I nor our registrar knows what she did to cause this to happen, and neither of us can figure out how to undo it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,
Erica

Erica Boyd Jacob
Associate Registrar / Collections Database Manager
Montclair Art Museum
3 South Mountain Avenue
Montclair, NJ 07042