From: The Museum System (TMS) Users [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Essam, Gillian
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2010 8:31 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Culture, Constituent or Both

Hi Ashley,

I have continued a data standard inherited from our printed Complete Illustrated Catalogue whereby anonymous works are linked to a generic Constituent record for the relevant geographic school e.g. 'French'. Because the collection is rich in works of the Italian school we also specify the city here e.g. 'Italian, Florentine'. In this way the school is always clear even in a simple attribution and title listing e.g. an image caption. It also helps users to search for the work in A-Z artist browse lists.

We also repeat the school in Culture field for all works, anonymous or not; this field is used or internal purposes only at present.

Gillian Essam
Collection Information Manager
The National Gallery
Trafalgar Square