From: The Museum System (TMS) Users [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Collen, Kate
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2010 1:50 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Boolean searching

Hi Amber,

To my knowledge, you can't search on "not" within the Query Assistant. TMS reads "not" as an additional search value and will bring up anything in the search field containing both the word "not" plus the word you are searching on.

I agree that the Advanced Query can be scary for the average TMS user. What I do is create an advanced query for my users, and then save it under the "Saved Queries" section. This allows them to pull up and run more complicated queries. They simply select the name I've saved it under in the Saved Queries box, and TMS immediately populates the fields above. They hit Execute and it's done. Sometimes I even login as them to create the query so they're able to identify their login name next to the name of the query. One bugaboo I have noticed is that TMS automatically checks the checkbox "Include Virtual Objects" whether you have saved the query with the "Accessioned objects only" box checked or not. Just ask your users to make sure the correct box is checked prior to executing the query. Here's a screenshot below. Good luck!

[cid:image001.jpg@01CB7CC9.712AC450]
Kate

Kate Collen (formerly Diggle)
Collections Database Administrator