Michael, Gillian, and Kate,

Thank you very much for each of your responses.  All of this info will be very helpful.  I may send you follow-up inquiries off-list.

Best,
Anita

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 10:03 AM, Kate Blanch <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi Anita, the data that populates our Online Collections website is pulled from a SQL Server database that is refreshed nightly with TMS data. The refresh is automated and requires no human intervention. We are in the process of a major website overhaul – the current site was written in .NET but it is being re-designed in PHP. Data will be pulled from our “middle-man” SQL Server database into the web server’s MySQL database (housed on a Unix server) on a nightly basis. We built the SQL Server database in-house that contains the relevant TMS data and necessary data transformations. The web designers we contracted with are programming the part of the process whereby data is pulled into the web server’s MySQL database nightly. Related media is transported to the web server via a PHP utility which was crafted by the same web design firm.

I’d be happy to share more details offline if any of this is of interest – budget, data flow, techinical details. We don’t have a blockbuster budget, and have done a lot with limited means. Our on-staff web manager can read and program in PHP so will be able to support the new site to a much greater capacity than the old .NET site. That was a key component in spearheading this project.

All the best!

Kate Blanch

Administrator, Museum Databases

[log in to unmask] / 410.547.9000 ext. 266

The Walters Art Museum

600 N. Charles Street, Baltimore MD 21201

www.thewalters.org

Beasts on Parchment: Picturing Animals in Medieval Manuscripts November 6-February 13

German Drawings from the Walters’ Collection November 20–February 13

Treasures of Heaven: Saints, Relics and Devotion in Medieval Europe February 13–May 15, 2011

Twitter logo   Facebook logo   Flickr logo