Hi all,

I wanted to see how others are dealing with the following.

Within our overall collection are named groups of objects: the John Doe collection of European paintings, the Barbara and Susie Smith collection.  In some cases, the collection is named after the donor and we of course, have constituent records for them—John Doe gave us the John Doe collection and there is a John Doe constituent record so we can easily find all works in the John Doe Collection.

However in some instances, a donor has given work to create a named collection in honor of someone else: Gift of Sue Smith to the Mary and Amy Jones Collection.  In this case currently we have a constituent/donor record for Sue Smith but no constituent records for Mary and Amy Jones. We’re debating whether to set up constituent records for them or just putting a note in Sue Smith’s record that explains who Mary and Amy Jones are and why the named collection. Technically a credit line search in their names would bring up everything in the Mary and Amy Jones Collection but I worry if that’s the best way to track those things.

Related to this is the issue of donations in honor of someone.  If Sue Smith gives a work in honor of Betsy Smith do you create a constituent record for Betsy and what role do you assign her?

Thanks in advance for any and all examples.

Margaret Bullock

Margaret Bullock | TACOMA ART MUSEUM

Curator of Collections and Special Exhibitions

T: 253.272.4258 x3019

1701 Pacific Avenue, Tacoma, Washington 98402

www.TacomaArtMuseum.org

celebrating his art and inspirations | Dale Chihuly’s Northwest | on view through September 25