Jessica Becker reminded me that the Program Officers meeting is from 2:00 to 5:00 on Thursday, November 3.

If there is interest from any program officers in participating in a discussion about Science-MoMS, we are happy to meet with you on Friday morning at 7:30 in the lobby of the Vinoy, and/or we could find a place to meet at 3:00 during the coffee break. Please let me know if you want to find a time and place to talk about it.  We would love to hear your ideas.

Carol

From: Museum on Main Street [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Harsh, Carol
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 11:12 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: MoMS brainstorm session at the Federation Conference

Hi all,

This past summer, the National Museum of Natural History approached SITES about working with them to develop some science/humanities exhibitions for the MoMS program.  The idea is to seek significant funding through the National Science Foundation to enable us to develop an extensive program of exhibits that blend the sciences and the humanities and target small museums and nature centers.  For lack of a better name, we are calling this initiative “Science MoMS”.

Overlaying the humanities in this effort is critical.  Public discourse and ethical oversight about science issues is an important role that councils often play.  Natural science exhibits that show man’s place in nature and an awareness of the world around us could be really engaging.  We envision that councils could partner with statewide natural history museums and even state agencies like the Department of Fish and Wildlife to seek additional funding for statewide tours.

Science MoMS exhibitions could address the STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) deficiencies in schools in many small communities across the country. Standing outside traditional educational systems, we believe that the Smithsonian and state humanities councils can play a vital role in inspiring learning

I have talked with directors from a few council to seek their guidance, and received an enthusiastic response.  We are convening a brainstorming session at the Federation’s conference next week in St. Petersburg, on Thursday, November 3 at 3:00 in the Plaza D room at the conference hotel.  We would love for any and all of you who may be going to the conference to join us.  If you are not planning to go to the conference please pass this information along to others from your council who may like to attend this discussion. We will explore some exhibit ideas, partnership arrangements, and even funding possibilities.

This is an exciting proposition that could broaden the reach of the MoMS program and we want your input and insights so that we step off in the right direction.

Please let me know if you will be able to join us on November 3 so that we can plan appropriately.

Carol

Carol G. Harsh

Director, Museum on Main Street

Smithsonian Institution, SITES