Geez—sorry Kate—we ran into that problem years ago and I knew it, but didn’t think of it for your problem.

From: The Museum System (TMS) Users [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Collen, Kate
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2011 2:39 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: image conversion problem

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to report that we found what the issue was:
the image conversion tool will not convert 16 bits/channel .tif files for B&W images.

We had some .tif images sent to us from a German museum which used 16 bits/channel and a Greyscale color setting (not sRGB). We found that if we changed the images to 8 bits/channel in Photoshop that the TMS conversion worked. Gallery Systems has said that they will update the ICT code in a future release of TMS. Of course, we could always use Photoshop to convert images, but using the TMS conversion tool is a standard part of our imaging workflow and is usually quicker than using Photoshop.

And just to throw this question out to the group—does anyone regularly use TMS to convert images? Or does your museum mostly rely on Photoshop or another program to convert images (or do you upload tif, dng or raw files to TMS, and, if so, does that slow down viewing of the images within TMS due to increased file sizes)?

Thanks and Happy Holidays~

Kate