Good morning,

I want to take a minute to encourage you to look at the Standards and Excellence Program for History Organizations (StEPs).  It is a relatively  new program developed by the American  Association of State and Local History (AASLH) with funding from IMLS. You can check out their website. www.aaslh.org/steps

StEPs encourages awareness and achievement of national standards of professionalism through a self-paced, self-study that focuses on a museum’s policies and practices giving indicators of good, better, and best practices.  It was developed by AASLH and museum leaders from around the country with the intent of helping smaller history organizations—precisely the kinds of organizations that host MoMS exhibitions. We are hearing great things about it and think that membership in the program for the MoMS host museums is a good use for STAR funds.

The other side of it that is intriguing to us is that AASLH is also providing training opportunities and webinars related to the areas of study in the StEPs program. So as a small museum identifies areas in their practices that might need work, there are low cost training opportunities available to them.  If you know of field services offices or larger state museums or historical societies in your states that provide training for smaller museums you might want to check with them to see what training they may be offering.

AASLH is also providing training the trainer workshops around the country.  A couple of councils have participated in these via webinars.

There is a workshop coming up in Indianapolis at the end of February that includes a session on “Strengthening Interpretation through Compelling Stories.” IMLS and AASLH are providing $350  travel stipends for individuals who are helping to train small museums.  If you want to check this out, please see the email below and contact AASLH directly.

In so many ways the StEPs program fits in the mission and vision of MoMS commitment to providing training opportunities for the host museums leaving a legacy of improved professionalism. For an organization that really wants to take these steps (pun intended!), we feel that StEPs is a wonderful opportunity for them.

We are negotiating with AASLH to streamline a billing process so that you can offer it to the museums hosting MoMS in your state and for those who want to participate, we will pay the fee.   Once we work out all the details I’ll let you know, but for now, if you think you might want to include this in your STAR fund plan, please let me know so that we can gage how this might roll out.

We are excited about this opportunity to connect MoMS host museums with the larger museum field.

Carol