Hi Christine and ListServ,

I COMPLETELY agree with Chad’s recommendations!

-          Start from the bottom (low access) and work your way up to complicated / high access, &

-          Start with limited access and be ready & willing to add as needed.  (It’s much harder, politically speaking, to take access away).

I would also add:

-          Don’t create too many profiles at first.  (Again, it’s easier to add than take away.)

-          And don’t nuance profiles to fit a specific individual; think in terms of positions/departments/tasks.  (e.g. Conservators need X access.  But this one conservator needs Xprime, for this one specific task.  Just give all conservators Xprime or put that one conservator in the next higher security group.)

(Example:  We have +-50 users and 6 security groups [and that includes the Sys Admin].  All the groups are hierarchical [each group can do everything the previous group can, plus a little more].  Most users have no idea what they can’t do.)

Good luck!

David

David K. DeBono Schafer, Senior Collections Manager

Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology, Harvard University

11 Divinity Ave, Cambridge, MA 02138

617-496-5748  (f) 617-495-7535