From: The Museum System (TMS) Users [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Essam, Gillian [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:54 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Related objects

Hi Amber,

At The National Gallery, London we use a generic relationship for all our parent – child groupings e.g. panels of altarpieces, decorative schemes, series and pairs of paintings etc

This is how the relationship is entered

Relationship = ‘group-group member’

Relation1 = group

Relation1 Plural = groups

Relation1 Prepositional = is part of:

Relation1 Plural prepositional = is part of:

Relation2 = group member

Relation2 Plural = group members

Relation2 Prepositional = comprises:

Relation2 Plural prepositional = comprises:

Description = Use to link groups of related works e.g. parts of an altarpiece. Link the virtual parent record (GROUP numbered) to related child records (L or NG numbered)

When we copy TMS data to our web site we change the language to display the relationship to the public, see http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/paintings/william-hogarth-marriage-a-la-mode-1-the-marriage-settlement

Best wishes, Gillian

Gillian Essam

Collection Information Manager

The National Gallery