As a rule, we create individual accounts for anyone who has access to
TMS, also based on their network login ID.  I would say it is even more
relevant when assigning accounts to temporary staff like interns because
a) they tend to be very active users and updaters of information in TMS
(for which we are extremely grateful, BTW); and b) there is a greater
chance for discrepancies in style and syntax because of their relatively
short tenure at the Museum.  Identifying issues that might be unique to
a given individual are more easily accomplished when you can clearly
identify their system activity.

The only exceptions to this rule are users we create for very specific
functions (e.g. generic training logins; tech. services app install
testing; Crystal Reports automated job scheduling; automated data
update/transfer processes).  Unique accounts are created for each
function so that we may track access by the type of usage, but only when
it is not relevant to tie the usage to a specific individual.

We occasionally get requests for a generic account, but typically deny
such requests for the reasons already presented: login access and audit
trail accuracy.

>>> "Moxley, Jeri" <[log in to unmask]> 5/1/2012 8:35 AM >>>
Our intern network accounts are named as described below, thus why
their TMS logins are not named accounts. In TMS, they are given
restricted and read-only access to everything other than records for
incoming loan exhibitions.