This is a great question, and it’s reasonable to be picky!

I have not been able to find a way to limit the display of venues to just those linked to the ExhibitionID. I’ve even using a test view in a report and excluded the Exhibitions table completely – but it still amounts to the same thing – though you can set up the parameter to let users choose single, multiple, or range values, it’s still from a big long, mostly irrelevant list not tied the ExhibitionID.

It must be that what is required is a special coded report that pulls the relevant ExhVenueXrefIDs in advance.

One thing I have learned from Gallery Systems is that to make sure the report only returns the included objects, the report must include the select criteria {Objects.LoginID} like "*"  - this is currently the only way in TMS or Crystal to filter out the not-included records.

From: The Museum System (TMS) Users [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kate Blanch
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 5:29 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Crystal Reports Parameter Question

Hi TMS Users, I have a puzzling parameter scenario that maybe one of you has figured out.

I have an Exhibitions Venue report. I want the user to select the Venue for which to view information about at runtime. However, I don’t want the user to have to choose a Venue name from the thousands of Constituent names in our database. I want ONLY the venues associated with said exhibition to appear. What’s even pickier is that I don’t want the user to have to choose the Exhibition Title from a list of thousands of Exhibitions in our database).

I know TMS passes the ExhibitionID to the report at runtime (i.e. the option to run against “current record” or “current selection”). Has anyone been able to pass that same ExhibitionID to a Crystal parameter to help filter data even further?

Let me know if you have any experience with this! Thanks, Kate

Kate Blanch

Administrator, Museum Databases

[log in to unmask] / 410.547.9000 ext. 266

The Walters Art Museum

600 N. Charles Street, Baltimore MD 21201

www.thewalters.org