Hi everyone,

We are having a lot of discussions here whether to use the virtual object registration or not for artwork that are now registered with components but need to have individual information about loans, exhibitions, valuation & insurance and so on. We do like the parent-child-registration for portfolios, sketchbooks and so on, and also for these inseparable objects, the intellectual child-registration. But for the other objects, we are not so sure, as all the individual records gets confusing for a lot of TMS users here (when you search for an artwork and you get a lot of records - where can we find the collected information about the whole artwork?). We think that it is not clear enough in TMS if the record is a physical/not physical virtual object or not so therefore we are thinking of not having any "not physical virtual objects" at all. We would prefer a bigger sign for these kind of records.

Another thing would be the criteria for making group records or not. Should we ask every artist before we do our registration of new acquisitions if the artwork can be exhibited each part separated from each other, sometimes it is very clear from the beginning but when it is not? That would be the foremost criteria, I guess.

When we would like to count these objects we then also would like to count them both ways; a group of records as one piece and also all the children without the parent record. How is this possible?

I hope some of you would like to share your experiences,

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Magdalena Youssefi

Group Manager Collection/Art Database Manager
Moderna Museet
Utställningar & Samling/ Exhibitions and Collection
Box 16382
SE-103 27 Stockholm, Sweden

Tel: +46 8 5195 6275
Fax: +46 8 5195 5250/5292