Here at the Met we maintain a single constituent record and enter attribution qualifiers in the Prefix field. Role is reserved for the specific activity (Artist, Designer, Manufacturer, Engraver, etc..) Creating separate constituents for each variation would be too unwieldy for us. We would need to create 37 versions of Rembrandt alone!

If we need to query objects where a specific artist is the known maker we can query records where prefix is empty.

All our reports are designed to print prefix if the field is populated.

Jennie

Jennie Choi

Senior Manager of Collections Information

Digital Media

The Metropolitan Museum of Art