Dear Colleagues,
I am looking for comparison examples for a 1893/94 Textile wall covering made from jute. The fabric is a zigzag twill 1/3, 8 warps per direction, the density is 10 threads/cm for the warp and 8 threads/cm for the weft. The wall covering is situated in a staircase and an entrance hall, decorated in neo-Renaissance style. There are all in all 18 fields of textile inserted in the wood pannelling.

I myself have only seen two comparison examples until now, both situated in staircase situations, both - as my textile - placed in merchands villas dated to the end of the 19th century.

Do you happen to know of any similar textiles, be it made from jute in staircases, be it printed with similar decoration? Until now my search for such textiles has been in vain...

Thanks for any hints,
sincerely,

Karin von Lerber

über 20 Jahre Atelier für Textilkonservierung – 15 Jahre Ideen für Museen

Prev art GmbH - Atelier für Textilkonservierung
Dipl. Textilkonservatorin-Restauratorin FH / SKR Karin von Lerber
CH - 8405 Winterthur // Oberseenerstrasse 93 // Tel. + 41 (0)52 233 12 54
e-mail [log in to unmask] // www.prevart.ch