For a variety of reasons, we’ve started moving towards creating object records for crates and frames that can be separately linked to the artwork that was either packed or framed inside.  This lets us capture a whole lot more information about the frame (or crate) than we can by using the component (for frames) or shipping module (for crates).

We’re really now wanting to ramp up our use of this, and want to use TMS to track a lot more detailed information about each frame, including the finish or painted color, whether there is glazing that we are keeping with an empty frame, what the depth of the rebed is, etc.  We also want to let our framers have a way to virtually shop through the inventory of empty frames, reserve them for an upcoming exhibition, and know how many more to have made.

And then, of course, we want to track things with RFID which, although a new and foreign thing for us, is not at all new technology anymore.

I would love to hear from any of you who might have already gone down this path.  Are there tips we should be thinking about?  Shortfalls that we’ll be sorry we’re doing this?

Thanks,

David

David Aylsworth

Collections Registrar

Museum of Fine Arts, Houston

P.O. Box 6826

Houston, TX  77265-6826

telephone:  713-639-7824

fax:  713-639-7780

Don’t miss Picasso Black and White. On view through Memorial Day Monday, May 27. Visit mfah.org/picasso for tickets.

Follow the MFAH
facebook.com/mfah.org
twitter.com/mfah

mfah.org/google+