Dear Listserv,

We are in the process of discussing how to best utilize the Exhibitions module of TMS (right now 9.35, but soon will be 2010). Our goal is to create a simple numbering system for traveling exhibitions, so that when putting together a large list of loans, it is easy to recognize which loans belong with a particular exhibition. At the moment, all of our loans, regardless of length of time or loan purpose, are assigned a number with 'T' in front as a way to identify the objects as 'temporary'.

Some solutions we have discussed include assigning an 'E' number to loaned objects for exhibitions, or adding the first few letters of the exhibition to the assigned number. However, there is the concern that some of these numbers could become too big to be used effectively on exhibition mock-ups.

Additionally, both in TMS 9.35 and 2010, the loans module assigns an L number to each loan that is created in the Loans module. Another suggestion was to assign that L number, plus .1, .2, etc. as needed to every object associated with that loan, especially if one lender sends multiple objects. There are concerns that such a system could become confusing in the case of large exhibitions with multiple lenders of multiple objects. This system has the problem of creating very large numbers as well.

I would appreciate input from anyone who uses a specific, separate numbering system for objects loaned for traveling exhibitions, or if you have any suggestions of better numbering solutions. Feel free to email me off list.

Thank you!

Marisa Szpytman
Registrar Intern
Detroit Institute of Arts