Conserving Modernity: The Articulation of Innovation

9th North American Textile Conservation Conference

San Francisco, California

The North American Textile Conservation Conference (NATCC) is now opening related tours to the public. Feel free to join us by registering at natcconference.com

There are still spaces available for the East Bay tour:

East Bay Innovation – Full Day Cultural Tour

Day: Saturday November 16th, 2013

Time: 9:30am – 5pm

Cost: $95/person.  Includes box lunch and transportation.

Bus will depart and drop off at the Kensington Park Hotel, 450 Post Street

The East Bay offers a multitude of artist studios, art communities and collections with some of the most innovative people involved in textiles today. On this tour we will visit a world class variety of artists and collections.

We start the day by visiting the Phoebe Hearst Museum of Anthropology’s collection facilities to see their recent collections re-housing project and view their extensive Native American basket collection as well as other textiles in the collection.

Next, we will visit the Berkeley Art Center, where the exhibit New Media Combinations portrays how "traditional media and digital technologies have long merged to create new frameworks for artists interested in exploring infinite combinations." This exhibit features two of the artists we will visit on our tour.  A gourmet box lunch will be served following the visit.

Inline image 1

Close by we will visit the studio of Lia Cook – a legendary figure in the art world as well as important teacher of the textile arts at CCAC for many years. We will tour her studio and grounds, designed by master-gardener husband Mark Delepine, and learn more about her innovative work with neuroscientists unlocking the emotional response to woven faces.

 Inline image 2

We will head to Oakland to visit Magnolia Editions and its founders Donald and Era Farnsworth. Brilliant at facilitating artists’ work into many media, we will learn of digital printing technologies for textiles as well as their work producing Jacquard woven tapestries of leading artists work.

Finally, to round out the trip, we will visit Lacis, a specialty store with traditional and hard to find sewing supplies and books. They also feature a gallery of textiles from the store’s collection, and many gorgeous vintage costumes and accessories.

Click here to register.

For more information regarding the tour destinations, please visit:

www.liacook.com

www.magnoliaeditions.com

www.hearstmuseum.berkely.edu/

http://www.berkeleyartcenter.edu/