Happy New Year, TexCons’lers – Could you please direct to me to published sources that state that the accessioned costumes in the collection should NOT be worn? I am looking for US sources in particular (AAM? AASLH? Or?) – I am not a member of either AAM nor AASLH and so can’t access their membership publications/references.

Unfortunately, the ‘Caring For Your Treasures – Textiles” brochure posted on the AIC website doesn’t say anything about it:

http://www.conservation-us.org/docs/default-source/public-relations/textiles.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Perhaps this can be changed the next time this brochure is reviewed and revised.

The NPS Museum Handbook, Part 1, Appendix K (page 33) states:

Wearing original historic costumes is unacceptable in a museum context. Accidents, perspiration, make-up, stress of dressing and wear, and sudden

gestures or movements create excessive, immediate hazards that cannot be justified.

I know about the ICOM – Costume Committee Guidelines located at

http://www.costume-committee.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=17&Itemid=24

where it is stated: “Objects must never be worn. They should be displayed flat or on dummies for photography.”

I am hoping that both AAM and AASLH (any other source?) have guidelines/standards that also state what is obvious to us in the profession. I am disconcerted that I have to provide published sources to a historical society to “prove” that they shouldn’t allow the wearing of their accessioned costume collection!

Thank you for your collective knowledge and advice!

Regards,

Meg

Margaret E. Geiss-Mooney

Textile/Costume Conservator &