Hi all,

I've been asked by our curatorial staff to investigate how different institutions that have their collections online deal with works that have multiple constituents. We've run into an issue with a John Sartain print that is after a work by George Caleb Bingham. Our current website records have only one Constituent "slot" that is labeled Artist/Maker, and currently John Sartain is listed here, which is problematic given that no credit is given to Bingham and that Sartain's Constituent role in TMS is Engraver, not Artist.

This is obviously a website-design issue (we use TMS 2012 and have a custom interface/website designed by a local company) where we need to be able to have more than one constituent listed, and work is underway to find a solution. However, it has brought up two wider questions:

Has your museum had issues with listing or ordering multiple constituents for works that are available online? And, perhaps more of a curatorial question, but how does your institution deal with artist vs. engraver? In the case mentioned above, would your staff consider John Sartain the artist, or George Caleb Bingham?

Any and all thoughts are much appreciated!

Many thanks,
Meghan

--
Meghan E. Maher