I use "Artist" when a photograph is documenting an artwork (I'm in the Photography Collection, so the photographer is obviously my primary concern). So, a record may have Photographer: Peter A. Juley & Son / Artist: Hans Hofmann. That is the only case where we don't specify the type of artist the artist is.