I use "Artist" when a photograph is documenting an artwork (I'm in the
Photography Collection, so the photographer is obviously my primary
concern). So, a record may have Photographer: Peter A. Juley & Son /
Artist: Hans Hofmann. That is the only case where we don't specify the type
of artist the artist is.