Maria I would also like to read these projects reports and experiences with Fosshape
Thank you for sharing them

Patricia Lissa
Textiles Conservator
Museum Isaac Fernández Blanco - Buenos Aires
Argentina

We’ve had a couple recent interns work with Fosshape too with good results: making an invisible mount for an African tunic/cape (casting the upper torso on a dress form and hand working the lower portions of the mount to custom fit the lower regions of the cape) and making an invisible mount for a tshirt (casting on a dress form fitted with arms … getting the fosshape ‘sleeve’ right was tricky but manageable).

One of these clever interns, Tae Ahn from the FIT program, had a great idea to use a portable hand held steamer (Conair Extreme Hand Held Fabric Steamer with Dual Heat, model GS23) and we found this to be more useful than our Jiffy Garment steamer – it uses less water, gives you more mobility, control & directed steam & can get into smaller spaces.  We’ve also used tacking irons at times.  The interns write up brief reports on their working observations of the material and various steam/heat tools – if anyone’s got a project going in the near term and wants to read them , let me know!

Maria

Maria Fusco

Associate Conservator, Conservation Department

The Textile Museum • 2320 S Street  NW • Washington, DC 20008

tel. 202.667.0441, ext.28 fax 202.483.0994