Hi all!

Sorry to be so slow to respond to the kind words and questions about
Nebraska's Hometown Teams trading cards.

Trading cards just seemed like a natural when we started talking about
Hometown Teams.  I think it first came up at the national MoMS meeting.

I'll be honest, I loved the idea but knew I wouldn't have the time to take
it on.

Fortuitously our council hired a full time communications manager about
this time.  She went to national conference and got to talking with Kansas
(I think) about the idea.  I have to give credit to SheriLynne and Tim, our
communications intern, for actually pulling it off.

We started with athletes listed in *Nationally Distinguished Nebraskans
From 1854 to 2012. * Tim added to the list from other resources.  Based on
cost and manageability we decided to do 99 athletes and selected from the
list with a goal of covering as many hometowns in the state and different
sports as possible.  I think we ended up with 70 towns and 34 sports
represented.  We also sought gender and ethnic diversity.

We printed 250 of each card at a cost of about $1,000.  We got an
especially good deal from a local printer who prints trading cards for our
minor league baseball team.

We provided each site with about 3,000 of the cards to distribute as they
wish.  One site spread them out on a table and let visitors pick and choose
as they wished.  Another site gave each visitor 3 random cards.

We've given sets of the cards to funders and to the Nebraska High School
Sports Hall of Fame.

Mary Yager
Associate Director
215 Centennial Mall South, Ste 330
Lincoln, NE  68508
402-474-2131 ext 103
FAX 402-474-4852

*HOMETOWN TEAMS: How Sports Shape America, a Smithsonian Institution
travelling exhibition, is at El Museo Latino/The Latino Museum in Omaha
through July 5.*  More Information <http://www.nebraskahometownteams.org>