Here at the Mosaic Templars Cultural Center, we have set up our study collection as a separate department, and we also use the prefix “S” in front of our study collection catalog numbers. We also flip the order of our catalog numbers so that an object can be clearly identified (ie.  2014.03.006 for an accessioned catalog number and S02.2014.003 for a study collection catalog number).  We are fairly small museum in that we do not have several museum divisions accessing TMS.  We only have three people including myself that use TMS.  So we maintain two departments in TMS, our permanent accessioned collection and our study collection.  We are state agency, and we are mandated to maintain the two collections.  Also when viewing a record in TMS in the Objects module, since we elected to set up the study collection as a separate department, “Study Collection” will appear below the Catalog number automatically.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

Bryan McDade

Curator of Collections