Hi Merrianne,

1) We have a rule to exclude prepositions from our display bios, so we go with "American, born France."

2) We always use contemporary place names and if appropriate we follow this with the historic designations in parentheses. But we don't always include historical designations, this depends on our curators.

Examples:
Contemporary place name (Historic designations)
Tokyo (Edo)
St. Petersburg (Leningrad)

Our bio for Archipenko:
American (born Ukraine), Kiev 1887-1964 New York

Our bio for Lipchitz:
American (born Lithuania), Druskininkai 1891-1973 Capri

[signature]
                ? Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail