At National Gallery, London we started using statuses for section and segment before these fields were developed in TMS as far as they have been today.

In the thesaurus the root path is: Authorities > Statuses > Exhibitions > Room/Theme >. At this point we make a different structure for each exhibition, e.g.

2009_COROTTOMONET [this is the exhibition mnemonic]

-        Room 1: Section A [this is all one term, incorporating several levels]

-        Room 1: Section B

-        Room 1: Section C

-        Room 2

-        Room 3

-        Room 4: Section A

-        Room 4: Section B

-        Room 4: Section C

This has served us well, although our Information Systems Department staff tell me that including thesaurus terms in customised reports is not straightforward.

Best wishes, Gillian

Gillian Essam
Collection Information Manager
The National Gallery
Trafalgar Square
London WC2N 5DN
T +44 (0)20 7747 2543
F +44 (0)20 7747 2472
E [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
www.nationalgallery.org.uk<http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/>