From: Textile Conservators [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ballard, Mary
Sent: Friday, August 29, 2014 4:50 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Jan Vuori retires!

As people come back from summer vacations and return to projects at hand, I am sad to say that the font of wisdom at CCI for textile conservators, Jan Vuori, has taken a permanent vacation! She quietly retired mid-June. Jan’s listed on BCIN http://www.bcin.ca/English/home_english.html as the author or co-author of 47 articles—the ones we all depend upon for thorough, practical research and advice (pH testing, adhesives, leather) and to answer those high-anxiety questions: What about the use of adhesives on flags? Can I use bathophenanthroline iron test strips on textiles? Will they give me a correct answer? Jan participated in several conservation organizations ICOM-CC, NATCC, CAC, and AIC-US bringing well organized, well researched textile conservation problems—and their solutions--to our attention. She expertly and systematically organized a wonderful course on the use of adhesives in textile conservation with her colleagues Carole Dignard and Jane Down and on other projects with Irene Karsten, Renee Dancuse, and most notably Season Tse.

We wish Jan the best in her well-deserved retirement,

TexCons co-administrators Mary Ballard & Gail Niinimaa.