We have started a pilot project this year. Our museum deals with mostly item-level records and descriptions, but we also have manuscript collections that need to be organized and described. We have received funding to process four such collections and are planning a three-pronged approach to discoverability. First, we will EAD-encode the finding aids and host them on our website, and any other website that deems it appropriate, or the aggregators pertaining specifically to our field or geographical location. Second, we will have a bound copy of each finding aid deposited in our library and catalogued in the library system, with its own call number. Third, we will create a collection-level record in TMS and attach the finding aid as a media file. The collection-level record will contain a brief description of the collection and its location, and we will use the Controlled Access Headings from the finding aid to populate the Constituents field. We expect this to increase discoverability both internally and on the web should we publish at some point through eMuseum or another product.

We are presenting this project at the Association of Moving Image Archivists conference in Savannah on October 9, and would be happy to do the same at Collective Imagination 2015.

Jared Case
Head of Collection Information, Research, and Access
Motion Picture Department
George Eastman House