From: The Museum System (TMS) Users [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Shelly Threadgill
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2014 10:42 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: TMS Data Entry Policies and Procedures

Hello Everyone,

My name is Shelly Threadgill and I am currently working on my Master's Thesis at the University of Florida. This summer I created a institution specific user manual for TMS which included policies and procedures for data entry into TMS. My task now is to take that project and turn it into my thesis paper. Part of what I need in order to do this is to prove that what I did is important and relevant. What I am wondering is if any of you using TMS have encountered any issues or set backs due to lack of (or instability in) policies and procedures in regards to TMS use. In other words, if your museum has had TMS for awhile and over the years data was entered differently by different users and you are now or have recently attempted to solve these issues. Basically I am looking for anyone who is willing to share with me real life scenarios that might have been solved by having policies and procedures for data entry into TMS. What I envision for this section is to show what can potentially happen when policies and procedures about TMS do not exist or at least do not exist in widely a distributed written format.

In addition, I am also looking for any museums who are using TMS in any out of the box or unique ways. The final chapter of my thesis will be about TMS customization. In other words, once a museum has policies and procedures in place for TMS data entry and use, and once they have a firm grasp on the basics of TMS, what can they do to make TMS as compatible as possible with their museums needs. For example are you using the Events module in a unique and different way? This section will help to make my thesis of interest to a more broad network of museums, rather than just to those starting out with TMS.

Please message me off listserve if you would be interested in talking with me about this.

 I very much appreciate your time in reading and considering my request.

Thank you,
--

Shelly Threadgill
'14 MA Museum Studies Candidate