Scott,

Thanks for keeping this discussion alive, and for the off-line tips you've given us.  We are using the Barcode Manager plugin so have nothing to add on custom barcode implementations, but would be interesting in participating in the ongoing discussion of the general topic.

1. Yes, we use the GS Barcode Manager plugin. We've been content with its performance and the batch mode model it embodies (see #3). I think that using Gallery System's plugin makes sense if it meets your needs, as that leaves the responsibility to keep up with changing database schema, logic, error checking, data verification, bug fixes, etc. fully in their court.

2. TMS 2012; 7/11/2014 version of Barcode Manager for TMS 2012, incorporating recent fixes.

3. We've used barcoding largely for crated material being moved to a new facility, recording the moves from the old shelves to pallets to new shelves.  The key to the accuracy of these files is that the user scans in the appropriate sequence (e.g. Location, crate, crate, crate, next location, etc.). I can see where some real-time error checking would be useful on the scanner (e.g. "did you scan a box BEFORE a location?") but not a big enough issue for us to want to try to re-invent the Barcode Manager wheel or develop custom software for that purpose.

4. Scanners: We currently use Unitech HT630 bar code readers. These are simple, DOS-based devices that upload data to a PC via an FTDI (seria l<--> USB) cable. The hardware seems sturdy, scans quickly and accurately, and has been pretty trouble free.  Until very recently we were confounded by no-longer-supported "custom" software.  We have just discovered that documentation/utilities provided free by the manufacturer (and which is also the basis for our "custom" software) let us easily produce and download the simple text file of UUIDs that the Barcode Manager requires. This software appears to work fine with all Windows operating systems from Vista (& probably XP) through Win 8.

We are also looking at Unitech Android devices (PA 700).  Based on tips from Scott WIlliams and Unitech support, it looks like these devices can also produce the simple files needed for Barcode Manager, using the built-in scan service and a simple text editor or other Android apps (e.g. Barcode2File) - no custom software required!

Printers: Monarch 9855; Crystal Reports to print labels for locations, crates & components.

5. Nothing to add - we use standard off-the-shelf Barcode Manager plugin.

Larry Felton

California State Parks

TMS Support