From: The Museum System (TMS) Users [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Garton, Susan
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 9:25 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Cataloging objects from other collections

Hi Amber,

At the Smithsonian NPG, close to 90,000 of our 119,000 object records refer to objects at other museums-they're records for the NPG's Catalog of American Portraits (CAP). Here are some specifics about the way we enter them on TMS:

*         We have a department called "CAP"

*         We have an object status called "Catalog of American Portraits." We do not want to call them non-accessioned, because we have many non-accessioned objects that ARE owned by NPG, and both "Accessioned" and "Unaccessioned" objects on our database are considered "In jurisdiction".

*         We do not track the location of these objects at all.

*         We don't use the fields Object Type and Collection at NPG at all, so I can't help with that.

*         For many other fields that we do use for NPG object records, we don't use them for CAP--especially the areas of Accessioning and Conservation.

*         We do link Media, Bibliography and Exhibition records to CAP object records (but we use the Exhibitions module is for NPG exhibitions only.) Our CAP and Exhibitions records often change departments as these objects come and go from exhibitions at NPG. Will this ever happen with the objects you are thinking of entering? It's something to consider ahead of time, since people in various departments will have to share records.

*         For Object Number, we use the owning institution's accession number, followed by an acronym for the institution if the accession number is duplicated on TMS (which it often is, sometimes 100s of times, since most museums use similar numbering systems.) If there is no accession number, we assign a CAP number according to a system devised decades ago.

Hope some of this is helpful. Good luck to you with the project.

Sue