Can those of you whose collections include American, French, and English ceramics share what information your museum includes in the Display Bio field for a ceramics manufactory or pottery?

1)            Do you use nationality (e.g., English, French)?

2)            Do you use the location of the manufactory (e.g., Stoke-on-Trent)?

3)            Do you use est. or founded if the ceramics manufactory is still in business today (e.g., est. 1876, founded 1857)?

4)            Do you use a date range if there were specific years of operation (e.g., 1896–1919)?

5)            How do you indicate when the initial date of operation is not known, but the date that operations ceased is known (e.g., active c. 1810–1856)?

If possible, can you also share an example of one of your Display Bios for a ceramics manufactory or pottery?

I appreciate your input, as we are taking another look regarding how such Display Bios have been created over the years.

Merrianne Timko
Data Standards Manager

The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
PO Box 6826  Houston, Texas  77265-6826