Hello all,

We are currently using the old TGN thesaurus to handle our Geography.  Although it still proves to be a valuable tool, it is sometimes a bit outdated, especially in the region of interest of our museum: Central Africa.  It seems that the online TGN is much more up-to-date and accurate than the version that’s bundled with TMS.  Over time, we have added plenty of local terms to adapt the thesaurus to our needs, but one can’t fix it all by simply adding terms: a lot of cities have to be renamed, regions have to be split, terms have to be moved, etc.  We could start ‘playing’ around in the database itself to address these, but then we would break all possible upgrades.

So I wonder if there’s any news about an upcoming release of the new TGN? At CI in Vienna we heard that one of the major new features of TMS2014 would be the revamped Thesaurus Manager, but it was still unclear if (or when) the new versions of the TGN (and AAT) would be released.

Any suggestions on how to deal with the above would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dieter

Dieter Van Hassel

Royal Museum for Central Africa