Similar to Dieter, we are going with an Object-related Constituent Xref Role = 'depicted' (just that more general term; it would cover portrait subjects as well) and an Ex-Collection Constituent Xref Role = 'associated'.

We are using the Geography Xref Types = 'associated' and 'depicted' (as well as 'origin'), too.

Frances

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 4:00 PM, TMSUSERS automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Topics of the day:

  1. identifying sitter or subject of a painting/portrait through constituent
     xref (7)

     //  eoj

Date:    Wed, 25 Feb 2015 08:21:53 -0500
From:    Wilson Jarred <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: identifying sitter or subject of a painting/portrait through constituent xref

Hi all,

I'm trying to wrap my head around an issue involving constituent xrefs on object records. For sitters of portraits, we have utilized a role called "Sitter" to link a constituent to the object record. We would like to do something similar with people depicted (but who didn't necessarily model or sit for a piece) in a photograph or poster. "Sitter" doesn't seem to work well because, based on the Getty AAT definition<http://www.getty.edu/vow/AATFullDisplay?find=sitter&logic=AND&note=&page=1&subjectid=300189844>, it relates very specifically to portrait and not to other visual works. I am hesitant to call them the "Subject" because I think that term would get confused with overall subject or genre of a painting (i.e. "allegory").

Has anyone used constituent xrefs in the object record to identify the person depicted in a photograph? If so, what role have you used to do this? If anyone has any insight which they could pass along, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Jarred Wilson
Associate Registrar

The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art
5401 Bay Shore Road
Sarasota, FL 34243

tel. 941-359-5700 x1504
fax 941-359-7716
www.ringling.org<http://www.ringling.org/>

[cid:image002.jpg@01D050D4.1CA94AD0]

     //  eoj

[...]

<image002.jpg>

To unsubscribe, send an email to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> with the following commands in the body of the email:

     //  eoj