Hi there,

I've been pretty vocal on my thoughts about components.  I'm the opposite of what you are looking for - we do not use them and we do not love them.  They were more trouble than they were worth, for us anyway.  There are too many limitations on components, and it seems like any time we try to create a component, we end up needing a feature that components do not have.  You can't give them separate values, and there's an issue with including them in loans - it might be crating, I honestly can't remember.

A lot of this has to do with the nature of our collection.  You might think creating a component record for the lid of a teapot is a safe bet - who in their right mind would do an exhibition of just teapot lids?  Trust me, someone is going to do that exhibition and they're going to try to borrow that teapot lid from us.  Or perhaps a more believable example - what if the teapot lid is broken and needs to go out for conservation?  And that's when components go wrong for us.

Another issue with components is that the user now has to look in multiple places to figure out exactly what comprises a full object.  A tea service is a great example.  Maybe you have object records for the teapot, cups and saucers, etc., and you use parent/child records to build the relationships between the objects.  But then you also have the teapot lid buried under components.  Someone has to know to look at the related objects tab as well as the components tab.

And as you pointed out, there's the issue of components vs. reports.  For us to use components in TMS would mean creating more work for ourselves in terms of writing reports (and cleaning up old ones).

For us, our collection, and our staff, sticking with parent/child records has been the easiest.  It's cleaner, more obvious, and doesn't really take any extra effort as opposed to creating components.  It means we always have the full usability of an object record for anything we catalog.

I'm sure there are museums out there that use and love components.  There are pros and cons.  Obviously in my experience it's been mostly cons.  I'm not trying to cut down a feature of TMS, but if anyone out there hasn't implemented components yet, you might want to consider some of these issues and whether or not they'd be a challenge for your particular institution.

Best regards,
Amber

the warhol:
Amber E. Morgan
Collections Manager
117 Sandusky Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
T 412.237.8306
F 412.237.8340
E [log in to unmask]
W www.warhol.org<http://www.warhol.org/>
The Andy Warhol Museum
One of the four Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh
Email newsletter http://members.carnegiemuseums.org/email
Membership http://members.carnegiemuseums.org/SupportCMP