Van: The Museum System (TMS) Users [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Namens Bethany Bannister-Andrews
Verzonden: dinsdag 17 maart 2015 1:19
Aan: [log in to unmask]
Onderwerp: Tracking circulation statistics in Bibliography module

Hi, everyone!

I’m hoping another institution or TMS guru can help us. We’re currently using the Bibliography module to manage our relatively small collection of about 3,000 books, journals, and auction catalogs. Library materials currently only circulate internally, among staff and tour guides. Currently, we have an Attribute Type called location, which identifies the book’s home location. When a book is checked out, we add an attribute with the location of “checked out,” and record the borrower’s name and the date in the remarks field. When the book is returned, we simply delete this additional location.

However, we’d love to be able to use TMS to track circulation so that we can answer questions like:

-          How many times was a given item checked out?

-          How many items circulated during a given time period?

-          Which items are most heavily used?

In short, we want to get a sense of how much the library and its materials are being used. We recognize that TMS is not library automation software, and thus no such solution may exist, but for the time being it is what we are working with. Is anyone else using the Bibliography module in a similar way or to track circulation statistics? If so, how do you do it?

Thank you!

Bethany

Bethany Bannister-Andrews

Registrar, Shangri La